0 comments

Tuesday

And More X-Files

A while back, I wrote out my theory of At Least One. That theory applies to my current ideas regarding X-Files. It is necessary to remember, at this point, that I have not seen all the X-Files seasons nor have I ever read any of the fan theories. Basically, I have no idea whether my ideas are something that everyone else in the X-Files universe already knows. Probably.

My idea is that at least one person (me) thinks Skinner is head-over-heels-fall-down and-faint-in-love with Scully. And I'm willing to bet that at least one person (not me) thinks Skinner and Scully should have ended up together.

What is so fascinating to me about Skinner and Scully is that, taking the Whedon model (Angel, Spike) into consideration, Skinner ought to be the romantic hero; that is, the guy who sacrifices himself for the woman and puts the woman first and never thinks of anything else (which is how Skinner always comes across to me when he is around Scully) should be the one who ends up winning her heart.

But he doesn't. She ends up with Mulder, which is, of course, what we all expected but is also unexpected. And I think the reason for the unexpectedness is Duchovny's rendering of Mulder.

Mulder does sacrifice himself for Scully. But he plays him as rather remote. Scully, however logical and scientific, is clearly (I think) enamoured with Mulder by the time of the movie (being enamoured never stops her doing her job, however), but Mulder always seems to be holding Scully off with huge "Back off!" signs. He cannot live without her, and his enemies know that. But at the same time, he will never commit, never get close, never (really) admit any need for Scully. Even when Duchovny is given such lines, he almost always plays them "off."* I don't know if this is Chris Carter. I suspect not. I suspect it is Duchovny.

And I think this is fairly clever. The point, for me, of the Mulder-Scully relationship is that the final "I love you! I love you!" confrontation is unnecessary because they have already been living a "marriage" for most of the seasons. Their relationship is the relationship of people who are so far gone in terms of intimacy with another human being, Mulder's "Back off!" signs are completely pointless. Which will not, of course, stop Mulder from putting them up. And Scully is willing to put up with Mulder putting them up. Which consequently gives the relationship more edge, more reality, than most romantic TV relationships.*

To return to Skinner, I like his character, and I love that he does turn into moody, obsessed guy whenever Scully shows up and that Scully (as far as I know) and Mulder (as far as I know) seem completely unaware of this aspect of his character. But I'm really glad Scully kisses him in the boat episode. The guy should get something for his trouble!

*My favorite indication of this "offness" coupled with reality is in "Memento Mori" when Scully tells Mulder that she has cancer and instead of getting maudlin, he says, "I refuse to accept that." I LOVE that line: "I refuse to accept that." Somehow, it makes Mulder so much more real and passionate than the usual romantic hero and yet, at the same time, gives you a sense of Mulder's remoteness. Mind you, that sort of inaccessibility is great to watch on the screen, but not so great to fall for in real life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home