0 comments

Thursday

Point Sunnydale?

So the question with Point Pleasant is: Could it be more obvious that they are hoping to attract Buffy viewers?

Marti Noxon told a reporter that the show "tonally . . . is so different from Buffy." Okay, I might buy that, if the lead didn't look more like Sarah Michelle Gellar's sister than Dawn ever did (at least superficially; she actually has a very differently shaped face, but at first glance, you think, "It's Buffy. Good grief. It's Buffy.")

My reaction to the pilot episode was, oddly enough, the reaction I had to the Marti Noxon season of Buffy (the season where Buffy and Spike get together): good premise and . . . I kept waiting for the POW, the thing that makes you go, "Yeah, I'll watch this again." It never came.

But that could be because I'd seen so many previews, I pretty much knew the plot; it was sort of like watching the previews strung together with a few inbetweener scenes.

In any case, it could be a good show. Maybe. Right now, it looks more like an OC which takes itself seriously (as compared to the actual OC which doesn't). I kept going, "Hey, where are the scoobies? Where are the funky English dudes?"

Speaking of faux English dudes, Marti Noxon is hoping to get James Marsters on the show. My bets are he shows up as the protagonist's father (i.e. the ultimate big bad). Yeah, yeah, he's a sexy man, but eh hem, he's getting a bit elderly to play an 18 year old's love interest.

(I will give the writers points for heavy-handed but actual symbolism. Jessie, the lifeguard, was brought back to life when he was younger, bears a scar of the event, rescues the protagonist from the water and is the son of a female Christian preacher. They couldn't have been more blatant, but at least they used symbolism to do it.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home